A nephrologist is a doctor who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of kidney conditions. The doctor can refer you to a skilled nephrologist if you have the signs and symptoms of kidney problems like infection, growth, or kidney disease. If you are facing a problem then you need to consult the best urologist in Ludhiana to get the customized treatment plan. Consulting the experienced kidney specialist makes it easier to solve the different kidney-related problems.
What is a nephrologist?
A nephrologist specializes in treating diseases of the kidneys. He will do different tests and treat the conditions linked to the kidneys. It is the subspecialty of internal medicine. To become the best nephrologist you need to be:
- Complete an undergraduate and medical degree
- Complete a 2 or 3-year fellowship focusing on nephrology
- Pass a board certification exam (optional)
- Complete a 3-year residency in basic internal medicine training
They work in a group or as an individual to give the best care to the people. In many cases, they consult on different cases in hospitals and oversee dialysis units which are usually in a hospital or a clinic.
Which medical conditions do they treat?
Nephrologists treat conditions that impact or include the kidneys whether it is directly and indirectly. Some of the conditions which they can help to treat includes:
- Advanced or chronic kidney disease
- Tubular defects
- Kidney infections
- Glomerular conditions, such as glomerulonephritis and nephrotic syndrome
- Tubulointerstitial kidney diseases
- Structural or functional abnormalities of the kidney, bladder, or urine collection system, such as nephrolithiasis
- High blood pressure
- Autoimmune conditions involving the kidneys
- Electrolyte, fluid, and acid-base imbalances or disturbances
- Some metabolic disorders, such as diabetes
- Kidney neoplasms, or abnormal growths
- Kidney vascular conditions, such as renal artery stenosis
What procedures do they perform?
The nephrologist performed the blood test to treat the condition perfectly. He has completed training in internal medicine and different tests, treatments, and procedures which help the patient to feel better. They perform different tests to diagnose and monitor kidney conditions through urine and blood tests.
Doing different tests can make it easier to understand whether the kidneys are working properly or not.
Nephrologists use several types of procedures to help diagnose, monitor and treat kidney conditions. These procedures include:
- CT scan
- Kidney transplant
When should I see a nephrologist?
Some common signs and symptoms of severe kidney problems which indicate you need to see a doctor:
- Swelling, often in the legs, ankles, or feet
- Reduced urine output not related to dehydration
- Unexplained confusion, memory problems, or trouble focusing
- Pain, fluid in the joints, or stiffness
- Muscle cramps, numbness, or weakness
- Exhaustion during the day but problems sleeping at night
- Blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Reduced sense of taste and appetite
- Unintentional weight loss
- Unexplained blood pressure problems