Everything you need to know about the Holmium Laser Prostatectomy procedure
What is HOLEP?
During the procedure, a holmium laser energy is used to cut the prostatic tissues. The water absorbs the laser energy and heat generation happens in the tissue resulting in blood clotting in vessels. This method allows to control bleeding and ensures cutting is done precisely. The area between the glandular tissue and capsule helps in dissection so that the prostate is taken out which is dropped in the urinary bladder. It is cut into smaller chunks with the help of the instrument named morcellator. Once this is done, the tissue is taken away from the bladder, and then it is checked. If you are having any second thoughts about the treatment then consult the urologist in Ludhiana.
How is it beneficial to get HOLEP?
HOLEP is an advanced and improved procedure as compared to traditional TURP. Most importantly, the issue of bleeding is solved, providing better control over the laser, and the tissue is cut only once. With traditional approaches, there were issues with low sodium levels.
Is the surgery possible on antiplatelet medications?
While HOLEP is performed if you are consuming Clopilet. However, it is important to stop its consumption one week before the treatment is performed.
What happens after the HOLEP?
Once, the surgery is done, a catheter is inserted through the penis opening so that urine is drained from the bladder. This procedure needs to be done till the time the wound has healed completely. In some cases, the bladder needs to be flushed with water so that it is clean. In that case, you might see blood in the urine. Well, this is the normal state after the irrigation. You will be discharged in 2 to 3 days and by that time everything will come back into a normal state.
What are the possible complications?
It is an improved version of doing prostate surgery so it is safe as any other treatment. There are some possible risks like other surgeries:
● Loss of control over urine (It is solved in a few weeks)
● Around 1% of patients need a transfusion for bleeding
● Retrograde ejaculation
What are the tips to take care of yourself after the treatment?
● Following the procedure, you go through normal discomfort. The patient is prohibited from carrying heavy stuff. If you like to do heavy workouts then you need to put it on halt for 2 to 4 weeks.
● Following the surgery, the patient might see a pink tinge. In case, the bleeding gets in excess then consult the doctor immediately. During urination, you may experience a burning sensation.
● For one month, you need to abstain from sexual intercourse. Make sure that you visit for the annual prostate examination.