Kidney Transplant: Things to Know
Kidney transplant has become a life-saving procedure which has revolutionized the treatment of end-stage renal disease (ESRD). A kidney transplant refers to a procedure where a healthy kidney of a donor is surgically placed into the body of an end-stage kidney disease patient. The transplanted kidney performs the function of the failed kidney by filtering out the waste and excess fluids from the body. This procedure offers improved quality of life to individuals with kidney failure.
Aastha Hospital with the best nephrologist in Ludhiana provides a comprehensive overview of the procedure, eligibility, donor options, risks, post-transplant care and cost aspects which is mentioned below:
- Surgically placing the healthy kidney from donor into the recipient
- Connecting the new kidney to the recipient’s blood vessels and urinary system
- Removing the diseased kidney or not depending on the patient’s condition.
- Physical and mental evaluation of the patient
- Tests like blood tests, scans to check the health of patient
- Factors like overall health, kidney disease severity active infections considered
- Consultation with transplantation team
- Checking the suitability of the procedure as per the patient’s evaluation
The transplantation team explores the donor options available. The donors are classified into two types:
- Living Donor: Healthy individuals can donate one of their kidneys. They are commonly from family and friends.
- Deceased Donor: Kidneys are transplanted from deceased individuals who have registered themselves as organ donors prior to their death or whose families have given consent.
Risks and Complications:
Like any other major transplant, kidney transplant also poses some risks and complications. They are as below:
- Surgery-related risks- They include risks of excessive bleeding, infection, blood clots and anesthesia related complications.
- Risk of rejection- There is risk of transplant rejection as the recipient’s immune system may recognize that the transplanted kidney is a foreign object.
- Other complications- They include risks related to immunosuppressant medications like increase in susceptibility to infections and some long-term side effects.
The post-operative care also plays a major role in the recovery process and the overall success of the procedure. It includes:
- Post-Transplant medical care and monitoring for patient’s entire life.
- Taking prescribed medications and undergoing regular post- operative check-ups.
- Adopting overall healthy lifestyle which includes eating a balanced diet, engaging in regular exercise and avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol.
Kidney transplant has some financial implications which should be kept in mind, carefully considered and discussed with healthcare and insurance providers. The surgery can be an expensive affair which includes costs of:
- Evaluations like blood tests, scans
- Consultation fees
- Follow-up care
- Follow-up consultation
Aastha Hospital has the best kidney doctor in Ludhiana who will give you a second chance at living a healthy life with their miraculous surgical expertise. Consultation with Aastha healthcare professionals, transplant team and support networks can provide you comprehensive guidance throughout your kidney transplantation journey. The procedure is guaranteed to provide a renewed lease on life to people in need of new kidney support.