What are the reasons which make laparoscopic or keyhole surgery a preferable choice for women?
Keyhole or laparoscopic surgery is an alternative to open surgery for various problems. During laparoscopy, the surgeon inserts the instruments named laparoscopes to view the inside organs with ease. With open surgery, there is a need for large incisions and the chances of complications increases.
The laparoscope is a lighted and slender telescope that helps the surgeon to see the inside of the body. The doctor will check whether you have fibroids or endometriosis. The surgeon can perform different surgeries which include:
- Fibroid removal (another name is myomectomy)
- Uterus removal (another name is hysterectomy)
- Tubal blockage correction
- Ovarian cyst removal
- Hysteroscopic polypectomy
- Hysteroscopic uterine septum correction
- Hysteroscopic evaluation of postmenopausal bleeding
- Removal of misplaced IUCD
- Endometriosis treating surgeries
- Ectopic pregnancy management
- Hysteroscopic removal of fibroid
- Fertility enhancing laparo-hysteroscopy
- Surgery to diagnose & treat infertility
Another benefit of this treatment is patients do not have to stay for longer in the hospital and the healing time is less as compared to conventional treatment. Also, the procedure will leave minimal scars. When you choose the gynecologist to get the treatment, make sure she is trained and skilled to give you the correct treatment.
What are the reasons you need gynecological laparoscopy?
Some of the reasons to get diagnostic laparoscopy procedure are:
- Unexplained infertility
- Repeated pelvic infection
- Unexplained pelvic pain
What are the conditions which can be diagnosed and treated with laparoscopy?
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Reproductive cancers
- Pelvic abscess, or pus
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Pelvic adhesions, or painful scar tissue
What are the types of laparoscopic treatment?
Here are some of the laparoscopic treatment which you can take benefit from:
- Ovary removal
- Ovarian cysts removal
- Fibroid removal
- Adhesion removal
- Endometrial tissue ablation
- Uterus removal (hysterectomy)
- Endometrial tissue ablation
- Restoration of tubal
What are the steps to prepare for gynecological laparoscopy?
Your surgeon will tell you the steps for preparation as per the surgery. With imaging tests, you need to get blood tests. To reduce the anesthesia effect, you need to fast overnight. If you are taking any medication, then make sure to inform the doctor. As per the doctor’s instruction, you need to stop taking them. Once the treatment is done, you are not allowed to drive yourself. It is better to ask someone to drop you home.
How does the recovery feel?
You are only discharged when you can urinate on your own. With every patient the recovery is different. In some cases, the patient is discharged the same day or they might need to stay in hospital. Your doctor will let you know how to manage the side effects. To get back to your daily schedule, you need to wait for one month or more.