Hernia Treatment in Ludhiana | Hernia Repair Surgery in Punjab
Hernia Repair Surgery
Hernioplasty in Ludhiana, Punjab: The hernia is treated with surgery. The main types of hernia surgery are open repair, robotic repair, and laparoscopic (minimally invasive surgery). In this blog, we are going to discuss the surgery in detail.
What is a hernia?
A hernia occurs through a weak spot when the organ or fatty tissue is squeezed. The most common types are inguinal, incisional, femoral, hiatal , and umbilical.
What are the symptoms of a hernia?
- Most commonly you are going to notice a lump or bulge in the problematic area. If the patient has an inguinal hernia, then the pubic bone will have a lump where the groin & thigh meet.
- When you lie down, a hernia won’t be noticeable. The problem is more likely to be noticed when you are standing up, coughing, or bending down. It is normal to feel pain or discomfort in the problematic area.
- One of the hernia types of Hiatal hernias results in specific symptoms. In this case, you are likely going to notice chest pain, problem swallowing, and heartburn.
- It is also possible that you do not notice any symptoms. For the best possible scenario, make sure to get the routine physical examination.
What are the causes of hernia?
A hernia is majorly caused due to a combination of strain and muscle weakness. The likelihood of the condition is caused depending on the condition, which means it might develop quickly or in a short time. Some of the major causes of strain or muscles weakness which can trigger hernia are:
- Damage due to surgery or injury
- Strenuous exercise or lifting heavyweights
- Constipation (this can result in strain while you are having a bowel movement)
- Obese or overweight
- Ascites or presence of fluid in the abdomen
- Chronic coughing
- Cystic fibrosis
- Low birth weight
- Being born prematurely
- Cystic fibrosis
What are the types of hernias?
- Inguinal Hernia: An inguinal hernia is categorized as the most common type. Their occurrence is when the intestine is pushed through the tear in the lower abdominal area or weak spot. This condition is considered more common in men. In women, the inguinal canal holds the uterus which is present in the ligament.
- Hiatal Hernia: The occurrence of a hiatal hernia is triggered when the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm and then enters the chest cavity. This type of hernia is common in people who are above 50 years. In the case of a child, the problem is triggered due to a congenital birth defect.
- Umbilical Hernia: The prevalence of umbilical hernias is common in babies and children. The problem is triggered when the intestine bulges in the abdominal wall which is present near the belly button. By the time your child is 5 years old and the problem is not solved, surgery can be the best choice to correct the issue.
- Ventral Hernia: The problem is triggered when through the muscles the tissue bulges out from the abdomen. While you are lying down you will be able to notice its size properly. Its formation is likely to occur because of pregnancy, obesity, and strenuous regime.
What is the treatment for a hernia?
If we talk about the effective treatment option then surgical repair is suggested by the doctor. Whether there is a need for surgery or not will depend on the following reasons:
- What is the severity of the symptoms?
- What is the size of a hernia?
The doctor will keep a close look over your conditions, to watch for any possible complications. In medical terms, it is referred to as watchful waiting.
For hernia patients, the severity of symptoms can be managed through a truss. It is a supportive undergarment that helps to keep the hernia in its place. Make sure to consult the doctor to understand how you need to wear it properly. Depending on your condition, the doctor will plan a bespoke plan to make you feel comfortable.
How is a hernia treated?
A hernia is treated with a surgical procedure. When you visit the best urologist in Ludhiana, he will diagnose your condition and accordingly let you know what needs to be done. The 3 main types of hernia surgery are mentioned below:
- Robotic hernia repair
- Open Hernia repair
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
What is open hernia repair surgery?
During an open hernia repair, the incision or cut is made in the groin area. The hernia sac that contains the bulging intestine is checked. The hernia is pushed back into the place i.e. the abdomen area, and it makes the abdominal wall strong with synthetic mesh.
After the surgery, the patient is allowed to go back home, and they feel normal within a few days. The patient is not allowed to do exercise for around 4 to 6 weeks following the surgery.
What is laparoscopic (minimally invasive) hernia repair surgery?
- During minimally invasive surgery i.e. laparoscope the hernia is repaired with a thin telescope-like instrument that is inserted with a small incision in the belly button. The procedure is performed by giving the patient general anesthesia. This allows the patient to not feel any type of pain as they are asleep during the surgery
- Before the surgery, the patient’s general health is checked which includes medical history, physical exam, and an electrocardiogram.
- During surgery, the laparoscope is connected along with a tiny video camera that helps to view inside the body. The abdomen area is filled with a harmless gas, and this creates space to see the internal structures. Mesh is placed inside the cover that covers the problems in the abdominal wall and increases the tissue strength.
- The incisions are closed with a stitch or with surgical tape. Within a few months, the incisions are not visible. Few weeks after the surgery you can go back to your routine.
What is robotic hernia repair surgery?
Robotic hernia repair is the same as laparoscopic surgery and is performed in the same way. The difference is that the surgeon is seated at a console in the operating room and all the surgical instruments are handled from the console. With this surgery, the surgeon can easily sew the tissues inside the abdomen. This surgery involves less pain and tiny scars that make it the best surgery.
Consult the best Urologist
These are the types of surgery that can be used to repair the hernia. If you are diagnosed with this problem then consult the surgeon, and he can guide you better on what needs to be done. You can book your appointment with our urologist for the latest and advanced treatment plan.