Acute Renal Failure Surgery: Treatment and Diagnosis in Punjab, India
Acute Renal Failure Surgery Overview:
Sometimes kidneys are not able to clean and filter blood. This can lead to the build-up of waste products in the body. This is called renal or kidney failure. If not treated at the right time, it can cause death.
What is Kidney Failure?
Kidney or Renal failure means kidneys do not work the way it should. The term kidney failure covers different problems. Some of the issues which result in kidney failure are.
- The kidney is damaged by a disease like:
- High blood pressure
- High blood sugar
- Polycystic kidney disease
- The kidney does not enough blood to filter
- Kidneys are blocked by scar tissue or kidney stones.
What are the Symptoms?
Symptoms can vary depending on how bad the kidney failure is or how quickly it is increasing and what is causing the problem. The 2 main types of kidney failure include acute (sudden) and chronic (over time).
Acute Renal Failure – ARF
ARF occurs when the kidneys do not filter waste products from the blood, the way it needs to. Some of the signs of ARF include:
- Swelling of the hands, feet, and face (edema)
- Internal bleeding
- Abnormal blood and urine tests
- High blood pressure
Chronic Renal Failure – CRF
CRF shows very few symptoms in the early stages. The symptoms start showing when the kidney functioning reduces to 20 percent or less. Some of the signs which occur include:
- abnormal blood and urine tests
- low red blood cell count (anemia)
- high blood pressure
- weight loss for no reason
- chest pains
- yellow-brown skin color
- numbness and tingling
What are the causes of ARF?
- low blood flow (such as after complicated surgery or an accident)
- Kidney Swelling (such as a reaction to a drug or infection)
- Blockage (such as by a kidney stone)
- Very high blood pressure
Once the cause is treated with ARF, the kidney gets back to its normal functioning or near normal.
What is the treatment for ARF?
To treat ARF, you need to treat the cause like high blood pressure which is too low or too high, high blood sugar, or kidney stone. In some cases, dialysis is needed for a short time.
When do I contact the doctor?
You need to consult the doctor immediately in case of seizures and blackouts. While some of these symptoms may be a result of other medical condition, it is always advisable to receive immediate medical attention. Repeated seizures can cause serious injury and must never be ignored.Book an Appointment