Symptoms of glomerulonephritis depend on your problem form, type, and condition. The signs and symptoms include:
- Red blood cell pink or colored urine in your urine (hematuria)
- Excess fat foamy urine due to proteinuria or excess protein.
- Blood pressure elevation or hypertension
- Fluid retention or edema of your face, hands, feet, and abdomen with swelling
Glomerulonephritis can occur in several cases. The disease sometimes takes place in families and the cause is sometimes unknown. Conditions for inflammation of the glomeruli of the kidneys include:
- Post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis.
- Bacterial endocarditis.
- Viral infections such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.
- Goodpasture’s syndrome.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis.
Conditions likely to cause scarring of the glomeruli
- Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.
- Diabetic kidney disease (diabetic nephropathy).
- High blood pressure
Chronic glomerulonephritis also takes place in families. Alport syndrome, a legacy form, can also impair listening or vision. Besides the above causes, certain cancers, including multiple myeloma, pulmonary cancer, and chronic Lymphocytic leukemia, are associated with glomerulonephritis.
If the daily urinalysis becomes irregular, glomerulonephritis often occurs. Tests to determine and evaluate the activity of the kidney include:
- Urine test
- Blood tests
- Imaging tests
- Kidney biopsy
Treatment of glomerulonephritis depends on below-mentioned factors-:
- If the disease is severe or persistent
- The underlying cause of this condition
- The type and seriousness of your symptoms and signs
A few cases of acute glomerulonephritis that improve on their own and involve no medication, especially following a strep-infection. In the event of an underlying cause, such as hypertension, an infection, or an autoimmune disease, the underlying cause is addressed. You may need to undergo Therapies for associated kidney failure such as kidney dialysis and kidney transplant.
When do I contact the doctor?
You need to consult the doctor immediately in case of seizures and blackouts. While some of these symptoms may be a result of other medical condition, it is always advisable to receive immediate medical attention. Repeated seizures can cause serious injury and must never be ignored.Book an Appointment