HOLAP/TURP (Holmium Laser Prostatectomy)
Prostate laser surgery helps to get relief from moderate to severe urinary symptoms due to enlarged prostate. This condition is also called benign prostatic hyperplasia.
During the surgery, the doctor inserts the scope through the penis tips into the tube which carries urine from the bladder. The urethra is surrounded by a prostate. The laser which passes through the scope will get the energy and it helps in removing & shrinking the tissue that stops urine flow. Lasers use concentrated light which helps to do everything precisely and heat is generated.
Different types of prostate laser surgery
- Photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP) : The laser is used which helps in melting the excess prostate tissue the urinary channel is enlarged.
- Holmium laser ablation of the prostate (HoLAP) : The process is the same as PVP but the laser is of a different type.
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HOLEP) : The laser helps in removing and cutting the excess tissue which blocks the urethra. To cut the prostate tissue into small tissues, an instrument is used and then it makes it easier to remove. Men with an enlarged prostate can get benefit from this option. The laser surgery type will depend on different factors which include:
- Prostate size
- Your health
- Your doctor’s training
- The type of laser equipment available
What is the need for surgery?
Prostate surgery makes it easier to reduce urinary symptoms which are caused by BPH and it includes:
- Frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Increased frequency of urination at night
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- Feeling bladder is not empty completely
- Urinary tract infections
When laser surgery cannot be performed?
- Recurring urinary tract infections
- Kidney or bladder damage
- Inability to control urination
- Blood in your urine
- Not able to urinate at all
- Bladder stones
What are its advantages?
Laser surgery provides the number of benefits which are mentioned below:
- The hospital stay is less or short. The surgery is done at an outpatient procedure or you just need to stay in hospital overnight.
- The bleeding risk is less. This option is best for men who take medications to have thin blood or they have bleeding issues that do not allow the blood to clot normally.
- Recovery time is quick with this procedure and takes less time as compared to traditional open surgery.
- You can get immediate results following the surgery. The improvements made in the urinary symptoms are noticed on time. Whereas with medications it can take around weeks or months to see the effective results.
- There is less need for a catheter. The method to treat enlarged prostate tissues requires tubes to take away urine from the bladder following the surgery. After surgery, the use of a catheter is for less than one day.
Follow the surgeon guideline for better results. If you have any doubt, then book your appointment with our surgeon before the symptoms get worse.
When do I contact the doctor?
You need to consult the doctor immediately in case of seizures and blackouts. While some of these symptoms may be a result of other medical condition, it is always advisable to receive immediate medical attention. Repeated seizures can cause serious injury and must never be ignored.Book an Appointment