Best Radiologists in Ludhiana, Punjab
What is Radiology?
Radiologists are medical doctors who are specialized in treating and diagnosing diseases and injuries to use medical imaging procedures such as computed tomography, nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography, and X-rays.
The radiologists will have to do 13 years of training in which there is medical school. Residency of 4 years, one to two years of training in radiology areas like interventional, pediatric, and radiation oncology. Throughout the years of practicing, they need to fulfill all the requirements.
Radiologists will play an essential role in making better everything for your health. He will properly examine and perform the quality exam. They report and interpret the resulting images and recommend the best treatment with additional tests.
The radiologists can specialize in different search areas like:
- Breast imaging (mammograms)
- Emergency radiology
- Gastrointestinal radiology (stomach, intestines, and abdomen)
- Cardiovascular radiology (heart and circulatory system)
- Chest radiology (heart and lungs)
- Musculoskeletal radiology (muscles and skeleton)
- Neuroradiology (brain and nervous system; head, neck, and spine)
- Genitourinary radiology (reproductive and urinary systems)
- Head and neck radiology
- Pediatric radiology (imaging of children)
The radiologists are doctors who diagnose and treat the condition with minimally invasive methods and these image-guided such as MRI and X-rays. Hey carefully take the instruments by doing tiny incisions in the body to understand the problem and give the best treatment plan. The treatment will work for conditions like stroke, cancer, uterine fibroids, and heart disease which result in less pain and recovery time in comparison to the traditional approach.
X-ray is also known as radiography. In this case, everything is used in small doses with ionizing radiation to get the images of the internal structure of the body. This is the most widely used option for medical imaging. This also makes it easier to diagnose the fractured bones, look for infection and injury. By doing so, the foreign objects in the soft tissues can be located. In some of the X-rays the material with iodine-based is used or barium which helps to improve the visibility of tissues, blood vessels, organs, and bone. Given below are some of the specific X-ray procedures:
- Bone densitometry (DEXA or DXA) use the ionizing radiation in small amounts to see the internal structure of the body and know the exact amount of bone loss. The patient with osteoporosis needs to go through this method to assess the patient’s condition. This is a standard method to know about the problem. To undergo the exam there is little preparation needed. During the procedure, you should not wear jewelry, so it is best to leave it at home. Make sure to wear comfortable clothes.
- Catheter angiography uses the catheter to get the X-ray images and the injection is used to check the blood vessels with problems. By doing so, the diagnosis and treatment are done in a single procedure. The pictures produced with this method are clear and accurate. Make sure to tell the doctor about your previous medical condition and if any allergy you had. It is best to have someone take you to the home.
Ultrasound imaging uses the probe or transducer to get the sound waves and images of the internal part of the body. In this method, the ionizing radiation is not used which does not result in harmful effects. The soft tissues and all the organs will have a better picture which might be seen with the X-ray.
If there is unexplained pain, infection, and swelling then this method works the best. This can also provide imaging guidance to needle biopsies and check the issues which are linked to blood flow. This method is also to do the imaging for the pregnant women and the baby growing inside her.
- A carotid intima-media thickness test (CIMT) helps to know how much plaque is built in the artery wall which supplies blood to the head. If this shows the increased thickness in the carotid artery inner layer then you might be at risk of cardiovascular problems. This ultrasound option checks the carotid artery inner layer thickness which is media and intima. For this method, very special preparation is needed. You should not wear jewelry when you go for the procedure. Make sure to wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Abdominal contrast-enhanced ultrasound in which gas-filled microbubbles are used to check the blood vessels and organs within the pelvis and abdomen like kidneys, bladder, pancreas, liver, and spleen. For the preparation of this method, you don’t have to do much effort. The doctor will help you prepare for the treatment and tell you what you can eat or not. It is best to wear loose clothes like a gown or pajamas.
Intravenous pyelogram (IVP) is the X-ray exam that helps to evaluate the ureters, bladder, and kidneys to diagnose blood in the urine or check the pain in the lower back or side. This method helps the doctor to get enough information so that the need for surgery is avoided and you will only be given the medications.
In case you are pregnant then make sure to tell the doctor. Additionally, tell in detail about your medical health condition and if any allergy you have. When you go for the treatment then you should not wear the jewelry. Make sure to wear only loose-fitting and comfy clothes.
Common uses for the method
With the IVP it becomes easier to check for the problems in the urine system and how well the patient’s body can handle the fluid waste. With this exam, it makes it easier to look for the symptoms like pain in the back or side and urine contains blood. Radiologists can also detect the problem within the urinary tract which can result in:
- Kidney stones
- Enlarged prostate
- Surgery on the urinary tract
- Tumors in the kidney, ureters or urinary bladder
- Scarring from urinary tract infection
- Congenital anomalies of the urinary tract
Preparing for IVP
The doctor will tell you in detail how you need to prepare. You need to take a mild laxative before the procedure. Make sure to tell the doctor about any medication you take or if you have any allergy. Tell the doctor if you have faced any medical condition recently.
When do I contact the doctor?
You need to consult the doctor immediately in case of seizures and blackouts. While some of these symptoms may be a result of other medical condition, it is always advisable to receive immediate medical attention. Repeated seizures can cause serious injury and must never be ignored.Book an Appointment