What are the chest cold symptoms? Does it point to other health issues?
How to recognize and treat chest cold symptoms?
If it’s a common cold, most people can recognize the symptoms which include sneezing, watery eyes, nasal congestion, and runny nose. The chest cold is also known by the name of acute bronchitis which is not the same. Due to a chest cold, a person experiences eye irritation and inflammation. You need to visit the best Chest Specialist in Punjab to understand this problem and accordingly get the best treatment plan. If you are looking for one, then Dr. Rahul Kumar who is the best Pulmonologist in Ludhiana will help you better analyze the situation.
What are the symptoms of a chest cold?
The most common symptoms of chest cold include the following:
- Persistent hacking cough
- Chest congestion
- Cough results in green or yellowish phlegm (mucus)
Apart from these other symptoms are sore throat, headache, body ache, and fatigue. In this case, it might make you feel uncomfortable but the symptoms of chest cold will get better with time as it will last for 7 to 10 days.
Tips to feel better during chest cold
- Get proper rest as it helps to strengthen the immune system
- Increase the intake of clear fluids
- Use the humidifier as it makes the mucus thin in the chest, and you will get relief from coughing
- Do not use any type of fragrances and even avoid the use of secondhand smoke
Can chest cold symptoms occur with other breathing problems?
If you have a respiratory problem like lung cancer, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema, or lung issue the chest cold symptoms will get worse. Some of these problems can create problems with breathing which might flare up the chest cold symptoms.
How to protect yourself from getting cold?
If your breathing is not right, then it can damage the lung tissue. In case, you have a respiratory problem then make sure to take preventive measures on time. Ask the doctor about when you need to get the pneumonia vaccination and flu shot. You should:
- Wash your hands
- Do not come in direct contact with people who are sick
- Do not touch the nose, eyes, or mouth
Can it point out that you have bronchitis?
It might tell that you have chronic bronchitis. With this condition, you can have symptoms like:
- The symptoms last for more than a week. The duration and severity will help you differentiate b/w chest cold & chronic bronchitis. The symptoms of chronic bronchitis last for 3 months. It can include symptoms like tightness or chest soreness.
- In the case of bronchitis, the fever is low-grade.
- Symptoms are worse, and they may get worse with time. You may have a cough at night, and you might need to take deep breaths.
Tips to get relief from bronchitis
- Use the humidifier
- Take a hot shower
- Drink enough fluid
- Keep the head elevated while you sleep to ease coughing
What are the signs you need to consult a doctor?
If your chest cold symptoms are managed with OTC then even without consultation you will feel better. If your symptoms last for more than 3 weeks then you need to consult the doctor. Some of the possible signs which tell you to need to consult the doctor are:
- You develop a fever over 103°F (39°F)
- Cough up blood
- Problem breathing
- Chest cold symptoms get worse or don’t get better
Book your initial consultation
If you are experiencing these symptoms then schedule your initial consultation with our chest specialist.